Are you looking at another sixteen hour — or longer — work day? Do you ever get a weekend off? Have you stopped meeting friends and family for lunches, dinners or other get-togethers? Are you working on or in your business? If you’re being run ragged by all you have to do — you are working IN your business and you need to find a way to step back, get out of the overwhelm and get back to a work-life balance?
Are You Working ON or IN Your Business?
Here are some ways to tell whether you are runnign your business or if it’s running you:
- You answer the question, “How are you?” with “Busy!”
- You can’t remember the last time you were home in time for family dinner.
- You feel it will be quicker for you to “just do it yourself” rather than hire someone or delegate a task.
- You tell yourself, “I need to make more money” or “I need more clients” but you’re not even sure if that’s true.
- You are reactive to the tasks of the day rather than being proactive.
What can you do to take control and regain your life? Here are a few.
- Put together systems and business processes for your daily tasks.
- Take time off for yourself and your family. Make your business work around your schedule instead of the other way around.
- Delegate. Hire someone to do those tasks that don’t truly need your input.
- Understand your budget so you can determine whether you can say “no” to a new project when you’re drowning with the ones you currently have.
- Find a coach, mastermind group or a mentor. An outsider’s perspective might be just waht you need.
If you’re looking at your day with dread, you need to reach out and find someone with whom to interact and who can help you learn to work ON rather than IN your business. Is today the day you’re going to take that step and regain your life? Give me a call, if you said “yes!”